Now that it’s spring and the weather is warmer, people are spending more time outside. For the sake of safety, it’s important to make sure certain electrical components are functioning properly and you are practicing good habits both inside and outside of the home.
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), thousands of people in the United States become critically injured or electrocuted as a result of electrical fires and accidents outside their homes. Focusing on electrical safety awareness can help ensure you are not injured due to an electrical malfunction.
Here are some simple safety rules to remember:
- Ladders of every material should not come in contact with a power line, as it may result in a serious injury or death. Keeping a 10 feet distance from an overhead power line is a good rule of measure.
- If your power tools are not being used, make sure to unplug everything. If not, it’s possible for the tools to overheat and cause a fire.
- Check for damaged cords on power tools. It is important to check if the cord is frayed or the plug is broken. This makes the tool dangerous to operate.
- Avoid wet areas while using any electrical item. Be aware of your surroundings, being sure to check for a running hose or sprinkler. Wet grass is particularly an issue.
- Teach kids to never fly a kite or climb a tree near a power line. If a kite gets tangled in overhead power lines, don’t try to remove it yourself. Kite string can conduct an electrical current, which can cause serious injuries or death.
- Call 811 before you dig, so underground utility lines can be properly marked. This free service is required by state law, and should be done at least two business days before the digging begins.
Remember, electrical lines and equipment should be treated seriously and with caution. Use these simple and easy to follow tips to stay safe this spring!
At Fab Electric, our specialists have lots of experience, and with our fast, friendly service, you will enjoy electricity safely outside and inside the home this springtime and cost savings in no time! Call us at (301) 622-6979 to set up an appointment today!