Have some renovations or home additions in the works for your DC area home? Great news! Before you do so, though, be sure to keep in mind that some additions almost always mean electrical work, and there are a lot of factors to consider if your end product is going to result in proper function.
Major Electrical Factors to Consider When Renovating
Additions to the home usually mean a higher electrical load on your panel and a need for increased functionality. Keep these points in mind while planning:
- Plan your electrical access:The position and wiring of your electrical outlets determine a lot about how the electrical work in your home addition will go. Consider where you might need electrical access for tools, floor lighting, and sometimes appliances. While you’re at it, work with your electrician to determine where you need to use a dedicated circuit for optimal safety.
- Consider a heavy-up:A heavy-up increases the amperage (electrical power) that is available to your home. A lot of homes (especially older homes) need a heavy-up as is, and if you’re adding on, you almost definitely need to seek a heavy-up in order to accommodate your needs. Without it, you may be sorely disappointed (and in the dark) when you try to use electricity in your new space.
- Pre-plan lighting: Know where fixed electrical appliances, such as lighting, are going to be before you begin building. Having a place for everything makes for a smooth process, and making last-minute changes can be exceptionally time consuming and expensive.
- Discuss the rest of your home’s wiring with a pro:Because of the modern tools, wiring, and equipment that will be used in your addition, the electrical in your initial home areas might need to be altered or updated. Speak with your electrical professional to see whether or not you might need to update wiring, access, or circuits in your home.
- Be cautious and flexible with your budgeting: Leave some leg room in your budget for sudden changes, incidents, and possible additions you might make during the building process. It’s just a way to ensure you’re prepared for any possibility!
- Hire a professional electrician! When you’re having major work done on your home, you don’t want just anyone rooting around in your home’s wiring. You want the best. Always work with a professional electrician, such as Fab Electric. And be sure to encourage a lot of open communication to ensure you’re getting the service and installations you want.
The team of highly experienced electricians at Fab Electric always takes your needs seriously. If you’re about to perform some home additions, we are your go-to source for important information and superior service. Wondering what needs to get done? Let’s get started! For top quality electrical services, installations, and upgrades, contact the team at Fab Electric today!
Call Us for All of Your Electrical Needs
At FAB Electric, we’re providing fast, reliable electrical services during the COVID-19 emergency. In addition, we’re following the State of Maryland and Federal CDC guidelines to keep our workers and customers safe, so you can have peace of mind when we enter your home. These include social distancing rules of staying at least 6 feet apart. Our service technicians also take extra precaution including wearing protective gloves, masks, and shoe covers on every job. Call us for fast, reliable, and comprehensive electrical service. If you are experiencing electrical issues or for more information about our residential or commercial electrical services, please contact FAB Electric at (301) 622-6979. Call us or visit www.fabelectric.com to set up an appointment today!