Few people enjoy spending money unnecessarily. Many of us don’t realize it, but we spend money on our electrical bill that could have been saved by making a few simple changes. Reducing electricity usage has the added bonus of being good for the environment, and at the same time, saves you money!
Tips to Conserve Electricity
While there are some big changes that you can make to your home that will save on electricity, such as upgrading to energy-efficient appliances or installing solar panels, there are also many smaller changes and tricks that can be employed to conserve energy. Some tips to reduce energy usage include:
- Switch to LED lighting: LED bulbs use much less power and last longer than conventional light bulbs and they are available in a variety of colors and styles
- Optimize operation of dishwashers, washers, and dryers: Most electrical providers decrease the cost of electricity during off-peak hours, like early morning or nighttime. Using appliances during this time, rather than at peak hours, can save you a lot of money. Also, only run these appliances when you have a full load to reduce the time that they are operating.
- Keep your thermostat steady:Drastic increases or decreases in temperature creates an unnecessary electrical strain. Keep your thermostat steady within two or three degrees.
- Use a thermal wrap on your water heater:Water heaters are one of the biggest consumers of electricity, so insulating your water heater to prevent heat loss will reduce electricity expenditure.
- Clean and replace filters: Air filters on appliances and ventilation gather dust and debris and the more clogged they get, the more power it takes to get air moving. Clean the filters on your dryer, furnace, fridge, and air conditioner to help them use less electricity.
- Turn off the lights: Turn off the lights every time you leave a room. Leaving any electrical device or light on when you are not in the room is wasteful.
- Insulate doors and windows: Heat can move through doors and windows, even when they are closed. Be aware of open doors or windows and install the proper weather stripping and insulation to minimize heat loss.
- Don’t block the air conditioning vent with the door: Sometimes, vents are located in odd places, like behind doors in bedrooms. Close the door of your bedroom so you are the one to experience the air conditioning, not the door.
- Turn off the fan:If you are leaving a room, turn off the fan!
- Read a book: What we do for entertainment can have a massive effect on our electricity bills. A television consumes more electricity than a reading lamp. Pursuing hobbies that do not use as much electricity will also typically help you to stay healthier and smarter!
- Get outside: Enjoy the natural energy of the summer sun!
Hope these tips for conserving energy and lowering your electric bill are helpful!
Call Fab Electric Today for Your Electrical Needs
Are you ready for your next electrical inspection, wiring repair or wiring upgrade, or do you need another service performed by a highly qualified electrician? Then call the experts at Fab Electric right away. At Fab Electric, our specialists have lots of experience, and with our fast, friendly service, you will enjoy electrical safely in your home and cost savings in no time! Call us at (301) 622-6979 to set up an appointment today!