Before the winter snowstorms begin and power outages start occurring, it is important to prepare yourself in advance. At FAB Electric, we know that power outages can create crises for people who are not ready for them, so we always advise people to be prepared for electrical failures or inclement weather.
Things You Can Do to Get Prepared
There are many ways that you can prepare your home and family for a power outage. Ensuring that you have taken measures to protect your home and belongings from damage can help make these events a minor interruption to your life, rather than a major one. Some of the ways that you can prepare for a power outage include:
- Develop an Emergency Plan:Sit down with your family and make sure that everyone is aware of what actions to take in the event of a power outage, as well as what to avoid doing. Have different plans outlined for the different reasons for power outages. If the outage was caused by inclement weather, your actions might need to be different from if it was caused by a transformer explosion or another issue. Your plans will need to be dependent on your location, where you can go if you need to vacate the home, the age of any dependents you might have, your methods of heating your home, whether you live in a house or apartment, and any special needs that household members might have. Make sure that you have clearly outlined meetup places and methods of communication. Write out your plan in detail and print out copies so that it is documented for future reference.
- Prepare a Power Outage Emergency Kit:Emergency kits should be on hand for any crisis, including power outages. Everyone in the house should know the location of your emergency kit and what it contains. Some of the supplies that should be included in your emergency kit are:
- Extra batteries
- Bottled water
- First-aid supplies
- Corded telephone
- Cell phone battery pack
- Non-perishable food
- Plenty of games and books
- A copy of your emergency plan
Make sure that you inspect the contents of your emergency kit regularly. Inspect batteries, test electronic supplies, and update everything, as needed. Although you can keep candles on hand, it is better to use lanterns to prevent creating a fire hazard.
- Prepare Your House:When preparing your home for a power outage, make sure that you have surge protectors in place to protect any sensitive electronics. Post a list of emergency numbers in a central location. Make sure you include a battery-operated flashlight in an easy to reach, centralized location so that you can respond quickly to a power outage.
- Consider a Generator: If you have power outages often, it might be a good time to consider a generator for your home. Read more about our generator offerings
Call Us for All of Your Electrical Needs!
If you are interested in finding out more about the best ways to prepare for a power outage, or for more information about our residential or commercial electrical services or generators, please contact FAB Electric at (301) 622-6979. At FAB Electric, our specialists have lots of experience, and with our fast, friendly service, you will enjoy electricity safely in your home and cost savings in no time! Call us or visit www.fabelectric.com to set up an appointment today!