Electrical outlets are everywhere, though most people seldom consider them. What many people don’t realize is that there are many different types of outlets that are used to supply electricity to all kinds of devices and that each type of outlet offers different benefits. Knowing the benefits of different types of specialty outlets can help you know what hardware to use to best meet your needs.
Different Types of Electrical Outlets
If you need a new outlet installed, it is often best to talk to a licensed electrician, such as the professionals at FAB Electric. When considering new outlets for your home, it can help to have basic knowledge about the types of outlets that are available and their benefits.
Some of the common specialty electrical outlet types include:
- Tamper Resistant Outlets: For homes with children, tamper resistant outlets are an excellent safety feature. Tamper resistant outlets have a built-in shutter that is designed to prevent foreign objects from being shoved inside of them. Although they do not prevent all electrical injuries, the added safety measure is good to have.
- GFCI Outlets: GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets are another type of receptacle that is designed to prevent electrical injuries. These outlets detect when there is a disruption in the flow of electricity or an overload and they automatically shut down. They can be reset by pushing a button on the receptacle.
- USB Combo Outlets: With the prevalence of chargeable electrical devices that plug into USB ports, it can be annoying to have to carry around an adapter with your device all the time. These outlets include USB electrical ports so that you are able to plug your charger directly into the wall.
- Surge Suppression Outlets: Surge suppressors are designed to protect your electrical devices from surges in electricity. They are typically plugged into other wall outlets, but they can also be hardwired. They are good to have at any point where electrical devices with circuit boards such as televisions, computers, or sound systems will be plugged in, such as at a desk or entertainment center.
- Smart Outlets: Smart outlets function with smart home systems and they can be controlled from a smart phone using an app.
Need a New Outlet? Give us a Call!
If you would like to learn more information about the benefits of different types of specialty outlets, call us today. At FAB Electric, it is our goal to ensure our clients get the best services possible, and we always place your satisfaction and safety above all else!
Contact FAB Electric for fast, reliable, and comprehensive electrical service. If you are experiencing electrical issues or for more information about our residential or commercial electrical services, please contact FAB Electric at (301) 622-6979. Call us or visit www.fabelectric.com to set up an appointment today!