The weather is heating up, and with it, so is the load on your electrical system. Don’t let the stress pile up. Protect your electrical system – and your wallet – from the stresses of summer with the help of these simple tips.
Reduce Stress from Heating and Cooling
Heating and cooling comprises about 30%-50% of your electric bill, making it one of the biggest stressors on your electrical system. However, there are many ways to reduce that stress, including…
- Keeping your air filter clean;
- Scheduling a professional cleaning and tune-up once a year;
- Clearing your outdoor system and indoor vents of debris and blockages;
- Addressing ductwork leaks;
- Setting your system on 85 degrees when you’re not home, or
- Installing a programmable thermostat.
Keep a Lid on Energy Consumption
Your refrigerator is among the largest consumers of energy in your home. Keep a lid on energy consumption by:
- Ensuring seals are clean and tight;
- Verifying proper operating temperate: 37°-40°F in the refrigerator and 0°-5°F in the freezer.
Lower the Temperature of Your Water Heater
The water heating is typically the third largest energy expense in your home. The hotter the temperature of the water, and the more it is used, the harder your electrical system is forced to keep up with the heating demands.
Summer is hot enough! Cool your use by…
- Setting water heater temperature to 120 degrees;
- Properly insulating your tank;
- Taking a shower instead of a bath;
- Turning hot water – and your heater – off when you don’t need it.
Cook on Your Grill Instead of Your Stovetop
Using your stovetop or oven in summer’s heat can really put a strain on your air conditioner and electrical system. Save some money and maintain comfort by firing up your grill instead.
Reduce appliance stress by turning off items that are not in use rather than letting them run such as lights, laptop and mobile devices, TVs, radios, and more can take a lot of pressure off your electrical system. Unplug items or plug them into a power strip, flipping them off when they’re not in use.
Electrical system all stressed out?
Need electrical work done in your home? At Fab Electric, our specialists have lots of experience, and with our fast, friendly service, you will enjoy electricity safely outside and inside the home this springtime and cost savings in no time! Call us at (301) 622-6979 to set up an appointment today!